As a major step towards revitalizing agriculture and bringing it back to its past glory, the present near collapse of marketing of agricultural produce must be addressed. Accordingly, a sustainable and decisive mechanism has been put in place by introducing marketing extension component into the National Programme for Food Security (NPFS). However, studies carried out have revealed that both the Nigerian farmers and the Extension Agents have little knowledge of modern marketing techniques of agricultural produce.
This training workshop aims at equipping participants with the relevant knowledge, techniques and skills of marketing in order to add value to farm produce. At the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- Provide requisite marketing information to the farming communities.
- Train farmers to develop quality products for marketing; and
- Link farmers with relevant stakeholders.
- Overview of extension and advisory services.
- Concept of Value Chain Development in Agriculture.
- Concept and principles of participatory extension.
- Introduction to agricultural produce marketing.
- Drying and Storage of Grains and Root Crops
- Marketing of horticultural crops.
- Profitable livestock marketing.
- Improving Export Produce Marketing.
- Marketing channels for export produce.
- Agricultural Produce Marketing Cost.
- Cooperatives for produce marketing.
- Gender Issues in Agric. Produce Marketing.
Lectures, group exercises, plenary presentation sessions, case studies, role plays etc.
Who Should Attend?
Extension Officers included in the NPFS, Marketing and Extension Officers of the Multi-Commodity Development and Marketing Companies (Arable Crops, Tree Crops, Livestock and Fisheries Development), Marketing Officers of public and private farms, practicing farmers etc.